If you're one of those freewheeling bakers who doesn't read the whole recipe before getting started, be warned: this ingredient list is for a blueberry compote, milk crumb and lemon sugar only, and you'll have to bake (or buy) your own buns. Once you've got that sorted out, this sweet, elegant mix will take your pastry to the next level.
Beaucoup BC Blueberry Filling
1 cup frozen BC Blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp lemon juice
2 tsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 cup cream cheese
(based on recipe by Christine Tossi, owner of Milk Bar)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp lemon zest
½ cup granulated sugar
***Brioche buns, or any fluffy pastry of your choice
- Place blueberries, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan. Cook on medium heat until the blueberries have broken down, and the liquid has reduced to a heavy syrup consistency. Stir the cornstarch and water in a separate bowl, and add the slurry into the boiling blueberry mixture to thicken, boiling for 2-3 seconds.
- Place the cooled blueberry compote, lemon zest, and cream cheese in a food processor. Blend the mixture until it is smooth.
- Next, preheat the oven to 225 F. Whisk the dry ingredients together and stir in the melted butter. Place the crumbs onto a parchment-lined tray. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool and store in dry and clean container at room temperature.
- Mix the lemon zest and sugar together until combined.
- Bake and cool brioche buns, or any fluffy pastry, before filling. Use a paring knife to poke a hole from the bottom. Stuff with 3-4 thawed frozen blueberries, and pipe 30 grams of the blueberry cream cheese filling inside. Brush a thin layer of simple syrup on the outside and coat with lemon sugar. Pipe a little blueberry cream cheese filling on the top, and decorate with thawed frozen blueberries, flowers, and milk crumbs.