Western Living Magazine
A Seven-Bedroom Pied-a-Terre Designed to Bring Family Together
Design Crush: Inside a Psychedelic-Assisted Therapy Clinic in Calgary with Natural, Serene Vibes
This Modern Lakeside Home Captures Gorgeous Views Inside and Out
Recipe: Scallop Ceviche from Maenam’s Chef Angus An
3 Classy Australian White Wines to Toast Olivia Newton-John With
Recipe: Wild Pacific Halibut Cakes
Getaway Guide: How to Spend One Perfect Day on Galiano Island
Where to Eat, Stay and Play in Canmore
The Perfect Southern Alberta Getaway (If You’re Obsessed With Yellowstone)
‘West Coast North’ is a Love Letter to Western Canadian Architecture and Interiors
Design Obsession: This Roll-Up Drying Rack Is Maybe My Favourite Thing in the Kitchen
10 of the Hottest Homewares for Summer 2022
Announcing the 2022 Designers of the Year Finalists
You’re Invited to the Design Party of the Year!
DotY 2022: Our Judges for the Maker Category Can’t Wait to See What You’ve Got
Goodies and gadgets for your shopping listor your wish list.
Your holiday hand-wringing is over. We’ve scoured the West for the just-perfect gift for everyone on your list: from the stylish exec’s new fave coat to the perfect statement piece for a design-savvy relative, to a clever block set for the pre-kindergarten kid who’s secretly a budding architect. We promise: this is the only shopping list you’ll need this year.
Pretty platters and on-trend artwork for the design lover in your life.
1. CUCKOO COOL The handmade Diamantini and Domeniconi clocks ($475) are modernist takes on the classic cuckoo design. westelm.ca
2. LEGGY LOOK The solid wood Oliver Apt Skinny Legs stool ($280) works beautifully as a side table, too. oliverapt.com
3. DESK JOCKEY The Philippe Starck-designed D’E-light lamp ($579) features a built-in USB charging port. grshop.com; lightform.ca
4. MAGNETIC PERSONALITY Get in on the marble craze with these Living magnets ($59) from BoConcept. boconcept.com
5. SOLID GOLD Keep this crinkled Pandora container ($569) by the front door as a glamourous catch-all for keys and mail. mintinteriors.ca
6. GORGEOUS GLOW The Selenite candle holder ($215)—hand-carved from salt mineral—makes for a stunning centrepiece. 18karatstore.com; home-evolution.com; dwellmodern.ca7. HARVEST MOON The shimmering Swell Made Co. Moon print ($33) is an essential gallery wall addition. littlegold.com; theuncommons.ca; plumhomeanddesign.com
8. SCENIC SUNDOWN The watercolour Red Raven Studio Canyon plates (from $19) are pretty like a desert sunset. nineteenten.ca; purrclothing.ca
Statement-making dishware, design-centric kitchen gadgets and artisanal spirits for the host with the most.
1. BOTTLE SERVICE Made In House Studio’s Petite Pioche bottle openers ($45) are inspired by the design of a classic wood axe. habitatetc.com; kartar.ca
2. SUIT YOURSELF Class up poker night with these mod porcelain Full Deck coasters ($99) from Jonathan Adler. chintz.com; mintinteriors.com; kitinteriorobjects.com; theartworks.ca
3. A-PEELING The simple kitchen tool becomes an object of beauty with the design of Alessi’s Sfrido peeler ($44). grshop.com; informinteriors.com; eq3.com; theartworks.ca
4. BOTTOMS UP The Vancouver-distilled Odd Society Wallflower gin ($48) features notes of rose petals, lavender and elderflower. cascadialiquor.com; legacyliquorstore.com
Quirky accessories to please.1. FLOWER POWER The vintage-inspired Floral watch ($159) is the result of Olivia Burton’s collaboration with Simons. simons.ca 2. X MARKS THE SPOT Vancouver designer Leah Alexandra’s Aqua Chalcedony cuff ($138) is simple and sleek. violetteboutique.com; thecrossdesign.com; plumhomeanddesign.com3. MIRROR, MIRROR The Hay Scribble mirror ($10) is a pocket-sized piece of quirky design. vanspecial.com; kitinteriorobjects.com
Bricks for the budding architect and adorable toys for the littlest design lover.1. BLOCK PARTY Areaware’s Blockitecture Habitat set ($35) is perfect for the pint-sized architect. walrushome.com; kitinteriorobjects.com; theartworks.ca2. CLEVER AS A FOX The organic cotton fleece Owen Fox ($42) is dressed to please in a dapper peacoat. fawnkids.com; dillydallykids.ca; rubaiyatcalgary.com3. GIVE A HOOT The sweet, wooden Janod Nesting Owl set ($48) is made in France. indigo.ca
Giftable goodies for the globetrotter. 1. DAY BY DAY Spark some wanderlust with the beautifully illustrated Travel the World desk calendar ($24) from Rifle Paper Co. munrosbooks.com; frontandcompany.com; paperrootstudios.com; plumhomeanddesign.com2. AMONG THE STARS The limited-edition constellation-print Victorinox Classic knife ($22.50) is ideal for the design-loving camper in your life. mec.ca3. CHEERS TO THAT The Carry On Gin and Tonic cocktail kit ($30) is sure to improve any flight. francesgrey.com; nineteenten.ca; theliveryshop.com; habitatetc.com