Western Living Magazine
The Design Files: Three Bedroom Looks We Love
6 Ways to Incorporate Colour into Your Home
Before and After: A Designer’s Own 1980s Rancher Gets a Fresh ‘Modern Beach House’ Look
6 Comfort-Food Dinners Perfect for Rainy Weeknights
The Twisty Cheesy Buns that Make -40°C Winters Worthwhile
This Super-Simple Ribollita Will Be Your New Favourite Winter Meal
Editors’ Picks: The Best Trips We Took in 2022
Victoria Might Just Be the Perfect Pre-New Year’s Getaway
Discover the Perfect Winter Getaway in Penticton
This Designer of the Year Finalist Just Launched a Gorgeous New Furniture Line
Protected: Looking For The Best Cooling Mattress? Douglas Delivers
Editors’ Picks: What We’re Reading Over the Holidays
Introducing Western Living’s 2022 Designers of the Year Award Winners
WL Architects of the Year 2022: Measured Architecture
WL Robert Ledingham Memorial Award for an Emerging Interior Designer 2022: Studio Roslyn
Goodies and gadgets for your shopping listor your wish list.
Your holiday hand-wringing is over. We’ve scoured the West for the just-perfect gift for everyone on your list: from the stylish exec’s new fave coat to the perfect statement piece for a design-savvy relative, to a clever block set for the pre-kindergarten kid who’s secretly a budding architect. We promise: this is the only shopping list you’ll need this year.
Pretty platters and on-trend artwork for the design lover in your life.
1. CUCKOO COOL The handmade Diamantini and Domeniconi clocks ($475) are modernist takes on the classic cuckoo design. westelm.ca
2. LEGGY LOOK The solid wood Oliver Apt Skinny Legs stool ($280) works beautifully as a side table, too. oliverapt.com
3. DESK JOCKEY The Philippe Starck-designed D’E-light lamp ($579) features a built-in USB charging port. grshop.com; lightform.ca
4. MAGNETIC PERSONALITY Get in on the marble craze with these Living magnets ($59) from BoConcept. boconcept.com
5. SOLID GOLD Keep this crinkled Pandora container ($569) by the front door as a glamourous catch-all for keys and mail. mintinteriors.ca
6. GORGEOUS GLOW The Selenite candle holder ($215)—hand-carved from salt mineral—makes for a stunning centrepiece. 18karatstore.com; home-evolution.com; dwellmodern.ca7. HARVEST MOON The shimmering Swell Made Co. Moon print ($33) is an essential gallery wall addition. littlegold.com; theuncommons.ca; plumhomeanddesign.com
8. SCENIC SUNDOWN The watercolour Red Raven Studio Canyon plates (from $19) are pretty like a desert sunset. nineteenten.ca; purrclothing.ca
Statement-making dishware, design-centric kitchen gadgets and artisanal spirits for the host with the most.
1. BOTTLE SERVICE Made In House Studio’s Petite Pioche bottle openers ($45) are inspired by the design of a classic wood axe. habitatetc.com; kartar.ca
2. SUIT YOURSELF Class up poker night with these mod porcelain Full Deck coasters ($99) from Jonathan Adler. chintz.com; mintinteriors.com; kitinteriorobjects.com; theartworks.ca
3. A-PEELING The simple kitchen tool becomes an object of beauty with the design of Alessi’s Sfrido peeler ($44). grshop.com; informinteriors.com; eq3.com; theartworks.ca
4. BOTTOMS UP The Vancouver-distilled Odd Society Wallflower gin ($48) features notes of rose petals, lavender and elderflower. cascadialiquor.com; legacyliquorstore.com
Quirky accessories to please.1. FLOWER POWER The vintage-inspired Floral watch ($159) is the result of Olivia Burton’s collaboration with Simons. simons.ca 2. X MARKS THE SPOT Vancouver designer Leah Alexandra’s Aqua Chalcedony cuff ($138) is simple and sleek. violetteboutique.com; thecrossdesign.com; plumhomeanddesign.com3. MIRROR, MIRROR The Hay Scribble mirror ($10) is a pocket-sized piece of quirky design. vanspecial.com; kitinteriorobjects.com
Bricks for the budding architect and adorable toys for the littlest design lover.1. BLOCK PARTY Areaware’s Blockitecture Habitat set ($35) is perfect for the pint-sized architect. walrushome.com; kitinteriorobjects.com; theartworks.ca2. CLEVER AS A FOX The organic cotton fleece Owen Fox ($42) is dressed to please in a dapper peacoat. fawnkids.com; dillydallykids.ca; rubaiyatcalgary.com3. GIVE A HOOT The sweet, wooden Janod Nesting Owl set ($48) is made in France. indigo.ca
Giftable goodies for the globetrotter. 1. DAY BY DAY Spark some wanderlust with the beautifully illustrated Travel the World desk calendar ($24) from Rifle Paper Co. munrosbooks.com; frontandcompany.com; paperrootstudios.com; plumhomeanddesign.com2. AMONG THE STARS The limited-edition constellation-print Victorinox Classic knife ($22.50) is ideal for the design-loving camper in your life. mec.ca3. CHEERS TO THAT The Carry On Gin and Tonic cocktail kit ($30) is sure to improve any flight. francesgrey.com; nineteenten.ca; theliveryshop.com; habitatetc.com
Are you over 18 years of age?