Western Living Magazine
Protected: Merit Kitchens: Urban Cool Meets West Coast Warmth
Finalists Announced: HAVAN Professionals Inspire
East Van Escape
Recipe: Balsamic Strawberry Sponge Cake from Oh Sweet Day
Recipe: The Perfect Blueberry Scones for Springtime
The Only Irish Coffee Recipe You’ll Ever Need
I Had the Best Nap of My Life in an Anti-Gravity Pod
Editors’ Picks: The Best Trips We Took in 2022
Victoria Might Just Be the Perfect Pre-New Year’s Getaway
The Future of Beauty: How One Medical Aesthetics Clinic is Changing the Game
Trending Now: The Best New Furniture and Homewares for Spring
Sleep Tight, Whatever Your Size: This Mattress Company Embraces All Body Types
Designers of the Year 2023: Meet Your Maker Judges
Designers of the Year 2023: Meet the Architecture Judges
What It’s Like to Win a Designers of the Year Award
Forget the Space Needle or Pike Place Market: Capitol Hill is the true heart of Seattleand no one knows it better than cocktail master Jamie Boudreau.
Since opening its doors five years ago, Seattle whisky bar Canon has been a vital part of crafting the Capitol Hill neighbourhood’s hip, laid-back flavour. The room is lauded for its killer spirit selection, inventive cocktails and warm vibe (it’s received accolades from everyone from World’s 50 Best Bars to the Tales of the Cocktail festival), and the man in charge of it all is Jamie Boudreau, a former Vancouverite who has dedicated his career to creating the ideal cocktail experience. Here’s where you’ll find him when he’s not behind the bar.
(Photo: Nicole Kandi)
1. We often feature spirits from local Oola Distillery on our menu. If they have their cask-strength bourbon, be sure to grab a bottle before they sell out. And they always do.
2. Located in an old KFC, the Rancho Bravo building has no signage, but the lines will assure you that the food here is good. Try the tamales if you can—they sell out on a daily basis.
(Photo: Giulia Duepuntozero)
3. Elliott Bay Book Company is huge and beautiful. Getting worn out wandering the room and thumbing through pages? Well, that’s what the café inside is for.
The decadent ice cream from Kurt Farm Shop is made from custard (Photo: Kevin Scott/Olson Kundig).
4. Chophouse Row has some great foodie gems and stores in a beautiful courtyard setting. Get your ice-cream fix at Kurt Farm Shop or a glass of wine at Upper Bar Ferdinand.
5. Half distillery, half bar, Sun Liquor creates vodka, gin, rum and bitters, and the staff deftly uses these ingredients in their own cocktail creations. The still is visible from your bar stool.
Are you over 18 years of age?