Western Living Magazine
The Ultimate Home Design Guide: Top Designer Tips for Every Room
You’re Invited: WL Design Talks With Trish Knight and Nicole Varga
Protect the Moments: Practice Whole Home Safety
5 Incredible New Wineries Have Hit the Okanagan
The Grape Escape for Wine Enthusiasts
The Gin of the Summer (and Fall, Winter, Spring) Is on Sale
Dark Skies in Utah: Chasing Cosmic Connection on the Road
Cycling the Emerald Isle: A Windy Adventure on Ireland’s Greenway
Glamping Utah: Adventure Has Never Felt So Good
Paint Trends 2024: No One Can Agree on the Colour of the Year
Discover California Closets – BC
Trending Now: 10 of Our Favourite Homewares for Late Summer 2023
Q&A: Meet the Texas-Based Contemporary Artist Dan Lam
5 Reasons to Enter the WL Design 25
Introducing Western Living’s 2023 Designers of the Year Award Winners
Forget the Space Needle or Pike Place Market: Capitol Hill is the true heart of Seattleand no one knows it better than cocktail master Jamie Boudreau.
Since opening its doors five years ago, Seattle whisky bar Canon has been a vital part of crafting the Capitol Hill neighbourhood’s hip, laid-back flavour. The room is lauded for its killer spirit selection, inventive cocktails and warm vibe (it’s received accolades from everyone from World’s 50 Best Bars to the Tales of the Cocktail festival), and the man in charge of it all is Jamie Boudreau, a former Vancouverite who has dedicated his career to creating the ideal cocktail experience. Here’s where you’ll find him when he’s not behind the bar.
(Photo: Nicole Kandi)
1. We often feature spirits from local Oola Distillery on our menu. If they have their cask-strength bourbon, be sure to grab a bottle before they sell out. And they always do.
2. Located in an old KFC, the Rancho Bravo building has no signage, but the lines will assure you that the food here is good. Try the tamales if you can—they sell out on a daily basis.
(Photo: Giulia Duepuntozero)
3. Elliott Bay Book Company is huge and beautiful. Getting worn out wandering the room and thumbing through pages? Well, that’s what the café inside is for.
The decadent ice cream from Kurt Farm Shop is made from custard (Photo: Kevin Scott/Olson Kundig).
4. Chophouse Row has some great foodie gems and stores in a beautiful courtyard setting. Get your ice-cream fix at Kurt Farm Shop or a glass of wine at Upper Bar Ferdinand.
5. Half distillery, half bar, Sun Liquor creates vodka, gin, rum and bitters, and the staff deftly uses these ingredients in their own cocktail creations. The still is visible from your bar stool.
Are you over 18 years of age?