Best Mattresses Canada may receive a commission on purchases made through links on this page.
Whether you like to watch TV in bed, have trouble falling asleep, or need more than a flat surface to sleep comfortably, an adjustable bed may be right for you. These bed bases can be raised or lowered to adjust to your sleeping preferences. Some of them even have massage features! We’ve put together a list of the best adjustable beds in Canada to help elevate your sleep.
Our top picks for adjustable beds in Canada
- Best Overall: GhostBed Adjustable Base
- Best Whisper-Quiet: Podium Adjustable Bed
- Best Massage: Casper Rise Max Adjustable Base
Benefits of using an adjustable bed
An adjustable bed helps you sleep more comfortably overall. Instead of laying flat all the time, an adjustable bed allows you to change the elevation of your feet and head. You can raise your head when you’re reading or watching TV, for instance. When you’re ready to sleep, you can move the bed back to a flat position.
Adjustable beds have been used in hospitals for decades, so it’s normal to have a rather clinical impression of them. While they can help in the same way as hospital beds (elevating feet for ankle injuries, for instance), modern adjustable beds are focused on comfort and convenience rather than medicine.
These bed bases are only compatible with all-foam or hybrid mattresses. They can help you feel more comfortable while you’re watching TV in bed, reading, scrolling through your phone, and more. If you sleep better on a couch or recliner (i.e., with your head raised), you can get the same effect here. You won’t have to prop yourself up on a mountain of pillows to find a comfortable position.
While adjustable beds are a luxury (and most have a luxury price tag), they are one of the best ways to sleep. Modern adjustable beds can even include massage functions and USB ports!
What should you look for in an adjustable bed?
- Ease of Use: Before you commit to purchasing an adjustable bed base, consider whether it will make your life easier. If the bed is difficult to adjust or has features that you won’t use, you might want to consider a different base. Choose one that fits your lifestyle and has features that will benefit you in some way.
- Compatibility: Adjustable bases are compatible with most all-foam mattresses. However, it’s important to check the compatibility information. Some mattresses just won’t work with adjustable bases. You might need to buy a different type of base (or a different type of mattress). Most companies will note which mattresses the adjustable bed is compatible with.
- Preset Positions: Adjustable beds should come with a few preset positions. Usually, these include TV watching, sleeping, elevated feet, and a few others. These give you a starting point to adjust to your personal comfort levels. They can be especially handy if you’re new to adjustable beds and don’t know where to start. They can also be useful for exploring different positions, especially if you have problems getting comfortable on a flat surface.
- Wall-Hugging: You might worry about having your bed too close to the wall, especially if you’re adjusting it constantly. Wall-hugging technology moves the base of the bed towards the wall whenever you adjust the mattress away from it. When you’re raising the head of your bed, for instance, the base moves back so that you are still braced against the wall. The same is true for any position you choose. The bed will move within the confines of the frame to make sure that you are always hugging a wall. Plus, the bed will never overshoot these confines, so your walls won’t be damaged.
- Memory Settings: An adjustable bed with memory settings allows you to save your elevation settings. In addition to the preset positions available with the bed, you can use memory settings so that your bed remembers your custom elevation options. One click of a button should return your bed to your perfect comfort position. Make sure to choose a bed with multiple memory settings, so you can choose different elevations for different occasions.
You may prefer an adjustable bed if you…
- Like to watch TV or read in bed
- Sleep better with your head or feet raised
- Are extremely active during the day
- Sleep better on the couch or in a recliner
- Are intrigued by massage functions
Adjustable bed convenience features
Adjustable beds have a ton of different convenience and comfort features. Depending on the model and quality of the bed, you can find things such as a remote (which is standard to most adjustable frames), massage features, LED lighting, USB ports, and more.
Some older adjustable beds had controls on the headboard or footboard, which only allows you to adjust the mattress when you aren’t in it. How are you supposed to find the perfect position that way? The best adjustable beds in Canada come with wireless remotes that are simple to use and help you adjust the bed while you’re laying in it.
Massage is another new feature available in some adjustable beds. Some beds have zoned vibration features that relax your tired muscles after a long day. Look for massage zones near your feet, shoulders, and lower back. These functions may help you fall asleep faster, but they aren’t a substitute for a proper massage.
Under-bed lighting can help you see where you’re going in the middle of the night. Some adjustable beds feature a row of soft-glow LED lights to help you see where you’re going. This feature can be turned off with the remote, but it adds a level of convenience that you won’t find on other bed bases.
USB ports will charge your devices as you sleep or recline, making it easier to use your phone in bed. This is especially convenient if you're watching your favourite shows in bed, relaxing after a long day, or hanging out with your partner. Now you don't have to worry about your charger being too short to comfortably use your phone away from an outlet.
These are just some of the basic features available in adjustable beds. Also look for personalized presets, memory functions, leg height options, and other convenience features.
Best Overall: GhostBed Adjustable Base
GhostBed’s Adjustable Base is a modern solution to the ‘hospital bed’ problem. While some adjustable bases feel more like the beds you’d find in an inpatient ward, this base goes above and beyond to deliver convenience features and comfort settings.
This bed has a cozy modern look that belongs in your bedroom. The sides of the base are covered in a textured, classic fabric that serves a dual purpose. Your mattress won’t move around as much as you adjust the base. It also looks great, so you won’t feel like you’re moonlighting as a patient. The fabric has universal appeal and will complement your modern décor.
To adjust your mattress, you can use the preset positions. These give you the ideal elevations to sleep, watch TV, hang out, and even sit up to read. This base also features a Zero Gravity mode, which promotes a feeling of weightlessness when activated. When you change between these different settings, the base moves smoothly, allowing a comfortable transition from one position to the next.
If the presets don’t appeal to you, there are also custom elevation options. You can move the head and feet of the bed separately, so you can find the perfect sleeping situation for your needs. This base is available in Twin XL, Queen, and Split King sizes. The Split King option is especially useful, as it allows you to adjust your side of the bed independently from your partners’. All of these sizes are standard, and the Split King is compatible with GhostBed’s all-foam and hybrid options in the same size.
The head and foot massage functions can help you relax and fall asleep easier. There are 3 different massage modes, 3 different intensity settings, and a timer. Relax your tired shoulders and feet with the right massage settings for you. How do you access these features? The backlit remote features all of the options you need. It even has a flashlight built in to help you see your way in the dark.
If the flashlight isn’t enough, you can take advantage of the under-bed LED illumination. The soft glow won’t keep you up at night but will light your way to the bathroom. Four integrated USB ports help you charge all of your devices, too. The GhostBed Adjustable Base truly has thought of everything when it comes to comfort and convenience.
Warranty: Limited lifetime / Weight Limit: 750lbs / Available Sizes: Twin XL, Queen, Split King
Best Whisper-Quiet: Podium Adjustable Bed
Moving your bed doesn’t have to be a loud, hydraulic affair. The Podium Adjustable Bed by Goodmorning.com adjusts almost silently. You don’t have to worry about waking the whole house f you need to adjust your bed in the middle of the night.
The silent adjustment function is just one of the perks of the Podium Adjustable Bed. It features all of the most beneficial features in an adjustable bed without the luxury price tag. You can elevate the head and foot of the bed independently, allowing you to find your perfect position no matter what.
There are several preset modes built-in to this base that make adjustments a little easier. These include a flat sleeping mode, a Zero-G weightless mode, and options for elevating your feet or watching TV in bed. Once you’ve found your preferred position, you can engage the safety lock on the remote. This ensures that your bed won’t move, even when you do.
The massage functions can help you relax after a long day. There are three different massage modes to promote full-body relaxation. This mattress features leg extensions in case you need a taller bed, as well as 4 USB ports. You can charge all of your devices while you relax in bed, no matter how far the outlet is.
You can use the Podium Adjustable Bed with most foam and hybrid mattresses. It comes in four sizes: Twin XL, Full, Queen, and Split King. You’ll need a Split King mattress to use this option, but It works well if you and your partner have different sleeping and relaxation preferences.
You’ll get a 10-year limited warranty on the bed itself, with a 2-year service warranty and an additional 5-year parts warranty. Since this bed is made by Goodmorning.com, it’s compatible with almost all Goodmorning.com mattresses.
Warranty: 10 years (limited) / Weight Limit: 650lbs / Available Sizes: Twin XL, Full, Queen, Split King
Best Massage: Casper Rise Max Adjustable Base
The Casper Rise Max Adjustable Base offers a host of features that can help you sleep better. There are three unique tilt points – more than the other mattresses on our list – and some sleep settings you won’t find elsewhere. This adjustable bed is an invaluable addition to your bedroom.
This bed features a ton of preset options to help you find your perfect position. You can tilt the bed at the neck, head, and foot, meaning that you have three points for adjusting your comfort. No matter which tilt point you choose to adjust, rest assured that your mattress won’t pull away from the wall. The wall-hugging technology in this base allows you to safely adjust to your heart’s content.
You can change all of the settings via the bed’s wireless remote. Every option, including tilt, preset options, and the 2 programmable memory buttons, are accessed via the remote. If you want to change something, you simply have to choose the right button on the remote. This bed can even adjust while you're lying down.
After a long day, this adjustable bed can help you relax. Its 4-zone massage features are a highlight, allowing you to change the intensity, pulse options, and more for four different massage zones. No matter where your tired muscles are, this bed can help you fall asleep more comfortably. This massage system is more advanced than some of the other adjustable beds on the market.
Worried about fitting your bed frame or headboard around this bed? Don’t sweat it. Drop-in compatibility makes it easy to set this adjustable frame inside of your existing frame. You don’t have to sacrifice style for these adjustable bed features.
Other features include a Zero-Gravity option that allows you to sleep weightlessly, as well as an anti-snore setting that elevates your upper body to help those around you fall asleep easier. Features like USB ports and under-bed lighting take this adjustable bed to the next level.
The Casper Rise Max Adjustable Base is compatible with most all-foam or hybrid mattresses, though Casper recommends using their mattresses with the base. It’s available in Twin XL, Queen, Split King, or California King. Choose the size that matches your mattress for the best results.
Warranty: 10 years (limited) / Weight Limit: 750lbs / Available Sizes: Twin XL, Queen, Split King, CAL King
- Sleep Trial: Some adjustable beds offer a sleep trial. During this period (usually about 30 days), you can try the adjustable bed to see if you like it. 30 days gives you plenty of time to try out all of the features, positions, and more. If you decide you don’t like it, you can initiate a return within this time frame for a full refund.
- Warranty: Warranties protect you against manufacturing defects or sudden failures during normal use of your adjustable bed. Each company has different warranty lengths and terms. The longer a warranty is, the better it is for you. 10 years is about the standard warranty for an adjustable bed, but a lifetime warranty is ideal.
- Available Sizes: You might think that you can find an adjustable base for whatever size mattress you have. This isn’t necessarily true. Some adjustable beds come in just a few sizes, so make sure to check the size options before you commit to making a purchase. You might need to purchase a new mattress to use an adjustable bed, particularly if you have an innerspring mattress.
- Weight Limit: The weight limit on an adjustable bed is an informative figure, but it has a lot to do with the warranty. Keep in mind that this figure represents all of the weight that can be on the bed. Since adjustable beds move mechanically, they can only reasonably move up to a certain weight limit. This is the combined weight of you, your partner, your kids, your pets, and the mattress itself. Make sure that you purchase an adjustable bed with a high enough weight limit to accommodate everyone sleeping on the bed. Exceeding this weight limit can void your warranty.
Frequently asked questions about adjustable beds in Canada
Are adjustable mattresses worth it?
Whether an adjustable mattress is ‘worth it’ is a personal choice. However, they do offer unique comfort benefits. An adjustable mattress can be invaluable for those who need elevation to sleep comfortably, including those who may have trouble falling asleep on a regular bed.
Can any mattress fit on an adjustable base?
For a mattress to fit on an adjustable base, it needs to be an all-foam (memory, latex, or a combination) or hybrid mattress. You also need to consider the size of the mattress and choose an adjustable base that matches.
Do adjustable bases ruin mattresses?
An adjustable base will not harm a compatible mattress. Reading the compatibility information can inform you on which mattress is best to use with an adjustable base.
Do you need a box spring with an adjustable base?
A box spring is just another type of foundation. An adjustable base acts as a foundation for your mattress – just like a box spring would. Using a box spring on an adjustable mattress is not recommended.
Are adjustable bases good for side sleepers, back sleepers, etc.?
That’s the great thing about adjustable bases! As long as you are using a compatible mattress that supports you properly, every sleeper can benefit from an adjustable base. These bases allow you to further customize how supportive your mattress is, so you can always find an elevation adjustment that works right for how you sleep.
Sleep is incredibly important. An adjustable base can help improve your sleep and make your waking hours a little more comfortable. Be cautious when purchasing an adjustable bed, though. There are a lot of factors to consider, including the size of your mattress and what it’s made of. Make sure to always use a compatible mattress. Hopefully, this list of our top picks helped you choose from some of the best adjustable beds in Canada.